Sunday, May 2, 2010
Poor Jakob
My sweet little almost 5 year old man tripped and fell onto the brick on our fireplace yesterday, cutting his head. They aren't kidding when they talk about head injuries bleeding A LOT. Benjamin brought him to me, with both of them screaming bloody murder. Jakob was grabbing his head and his hands and face were completely covered in blood (along with the carpet). It was so scary! Josh came running in (he was cleaning the pool at the time) and he started to yell as well. I then told everyone to chill out, grabbed a kitchen towel and pressed it to his head, telling him to calm down. It was a small but deep gash. Josh took him to an EMT friend to see if he would need stitches. He thought he would, so Josh and I got his parents to watch the other kids while we took him to urgent care. The doctor decided to glue him because she thought it would be less tramatic than stitching and she didn't think that it was deep enough to require stitches.
A kind of funny part of the story: Jakob is a very calm, and serious kid. The doctor was very worried about his behavior--which included staying entirely still as she washed and inspected his wound. She was concerned that he may had sustained brain injury that was making him act strangely. Jakob would not crack a smile or even talk to her, except in a whisper that she didn't understand. I had to keep promising her that he was talking to us after the accident and that I believed his behavior was totally normal for him. Whenever he is scared or worried, he gets totally quiet and still. Anyhow, we had to promise her repeatedly that we would wake him up every hour in the night to make sure he didn't go in a coma. Even though I know my Jakob, and I was of course going to follow her medical advice, she managed to make me worried about his brain. That is, until Josh took him to the bathroom and brought back a kid giggling his head off about toots.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Oh my, I so glad he is ok and such a good sport. I could only imaging what you were feeling. I so glad he is okay
Poor little guy! Josh was telling Amy and I about this at church and it sounds like it was quite the afternoon at your house! Glad he's doing better.
Holy moly!! I am sorry for Jakob! Sarah was telling me that she missed him at church today. I hope he is feeling better. Let us know if we can help you at all.
Oh my goodness. I'm glad he is okay and there is no brain damage. :) Missed you both today.
Yikes! Head wounds ARE scary. I'm glad it wasn't too bad to deal with. Good job on being level headed and taking care of the situation. :)
Oh, Ouch! Poor Jakob! After being through stitches twice with Matthew I'd love a kid who was quiet and serious when they were stressed about something like that. I'm glad he's OK. Those head injuries are stressful!
I was wondering what happened to him. That is so scary. I'm glad to see he is ok.
Post a Comment