Sunday, February 7, 2010
Benjamin's Science Fair Project
After two other failed experiments, I happened upon some information about black light on the Internet. I learned that it puts out a UV-B light like the sun. I wondered if it would work to check the effectiveness of sunscreen. Benjamin was so excited to play with the black light (did you know that Vaseline and Legos glow under them due to phosphors? We didn't!).
Using a highlighter (which we read also show up great under black light), he marked three circles on his arm. The first he left blank. On the second he applied SPF 4 and the third, SPF 55. He let them dry for five minutes and then tested to see if the UV-B penetrated the skin. The results were fascinating. Sunscreen really works! He also did a similar second experiment using white plastic plates.
Benjamin really worked hard on this project and we think that it turned out great! I was a little disgruntled when his teacher, less than two weeks before the due date (and we have been working on this since December) gave us poster layout instructions that were different than the original instructions. We had already turned in his project and his teacher assures him he will still get an A, although it may not be able to qualify to place in the school fair. Guess it pays to procrastinate!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
What a smart boy!! That is a COOL idea! Great job! Sorry you can't put it in the science fair. That's really neato.
What a great idea. I am impressed that you came up with it by yourselves.
Wow, that is great.
Post a Comment