Wednesday, May 6, 2009
Kristin takes a bite of the BIG APPLE!
This past week, I traveled with my parents to see my sister, Kelli, in New York City. My Dad, the fantasy-trip planner that he is, found a beautiful hotel right in Times Square! We loved looking out our floor-to-ceiling window to see all the commotion that is NYC. We also LOVED the elevators, which my Dad aptly named the "Gotham City Bullets". They were so, so fast and took you through a carpeted area (and made us girls all squeal EVERY TIME!).
It was so fun to see my sister who is a piano teacher (and has become an extrodinairy player) who lives in the Bay Ridge area. We had so much fun frolicking about the city. Here are some of the highlights:
-My mom getting goosed the first day in Times Square.
-Kelli, a very skinny girl, waking up the first night around 4am and asking me if I was hungry. No, I wasn't, but she proceeded to steal a granola bar from me and eat a PayDay bar my mom had purchased for her.
-Eating at The Tavern on the Green for my mom's birthday lunch. It is actually IN central park. It is set up like the most amazing English tea party.
-Eating at Junior's, a diner right across from the hotel. We ate there ALOT! They served beets, coleslaw, and pickles when most resturants would serve rolls. They made awesome New York cheesecake.
-Watching Mary Poppins on Broadway. It was truly unbelievable! The set changes and the level of talent was astounding! My Dad bought Kelli and I t-shirts!
-Going to Central Park. It is HUGE! And beautiful! I loved soaking in the fresh air (something in short supply in Times Square) and seeing the many lovely areas thereabout.
-Seeing the off-Broadway show "The Wonderettes".
-Going to see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. I loved posing with a Mexican guy dressed up as the statue (for a $5 fee) and feeding a German man named Gunter a jelly bean at Ellis Island.
-Going on the famous Duck Tour! It has to be the lowest-class entertainment you can enjoy, but enjoy it we did! They have an open bus that tours around Manhattan, then turns into a boat an goes into the Hudson! They even let Kelli and I drive (much to my mother's chagrin--she does not approve of our driving habits on the Hudson). All the while, we were quacking with the quackers they dispursed and waving to the natives, who had mixed reactions. It was truly hilarious.
-Eating at Ruby Foo's Palace. It was an Asian-fusion restaurant. Delicious!
-Seeing my sister's place. It is a typical college-level dump. It really gave me the creeps and the giggles. Especially the toliet. And the kitchen.
-Seeing Kelli's primary "hang outs"--a yummy pizza joint, a friend's house in Park Slope, and a fancy French resturant (where we had dinner with Shilo and Rachel, Kelli's closest friends).
-Riding the subway. It is filthy and wild and I had no idea what we were doing. Ever.
-Shopping at Macy's! It is 7 levels, plus a basement. There are escalators everywhere. You could really get lost in there, and we did.
-Going to Rockafeller Center. I didn't know it was full of shopping and good eats!
-Staying up laughing at trash magazines and telling "secrets" with my sister. Sorry for keeping you up Mom and Dad!
-Getting the warmest homecoming ever from my sweet family. The kids made signs and gave me the truest of hugs.
I know that I am missing something, but you get the gist. We had a wonderful, amazing time and I am so grateful to my parents for spoiling us throughly. It was so good to see my little sister after 8 long months! I am also so grateful to be home! I kinda like it here!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


14 comments:
Wow! It all looks/sounds like a BLAST!!! If I ever go to NYC I want you to go with me so it will be that much more fun.
I've been WAITING for a fun post about this trip!! So thanks for being quick about it :) It looks like SO much fun! NY is a place I always wanted to live when I was younger. In the apartments you see in movies. I'm so happy you guys had so much fun! I'm totally jealous :)
Wow you jet setter! You sure know how to have fun and laugh at it all. I especially got creeped/grossed out of the picture of the subway. Maybe I shouldn't ask, but what was on the sign-eeww gross. That is so wonderful of your parents to treat you to a trip so memorable. You are so fun!
What a great trip! I love the photos - the collage is great.
Fun to hear about your trip! It looks like you had a GREAT time.
WOW!! I would love to go to NYC!! Love the summary of the trip! How fun! Sounds like you had a great time!
New York City!! Awesome ;D I've always wanted to go there. Mary Poppins on Broadway too?! I've heard that it's so amazing. An unforgettable experience for sure--and how great that you got to go with your parents too. Did you see any fresh water river otters?
Don't you feel so urban now, so city chic? What a fun trip! I did a girls trip my Mother-law and Sis-laws last year, we had a blast. There's nothing like NYC, baby!!!
P.S. I can't believe that Josh attempted to start a project while watching 4 kids...and actually made some headway...now that's impressive!
Wow! When I finally decide to take a real trip farther than Utah, I'm totally calling you or your dad for the itinerary! That sounds so amazing! -Roxanne
It was nice seeing you.We must do linch sometime. We live so close to each-other.
What an awesome Vacation. I am so glad you had such a great time. I can only imagine how fun it is to travel with your parents. Love all your pictures. How FUN!
Oh my goodness! It sounds like you all had so much fun! You got to do a lot in a short time. Good for you. I'm glad to hear that Kelli is doing well. I have to go back to visit. I want to go when I can see the tree
wow! i just found your site via facebook. boy do i love that place for that reason.
i have LOVED seeing pics of your adventures!!! i especially enjoy seeing all of your adventures as a mom of older kids. how fun! i am going to add you to my list so i can keep seeing your cute family.
p.s. my fondest memory of you in highschool is your turtle neck skill. good times. :)
it's me, julie zohovetz (now morris.) i didn't realize that i don't have many pics of me on my family blog. :) sorry about that.
Post a Comment