Sunday, July 11, 2010

Fourth of July!

Those of you who know my family AT ALL know that we are "hard-core party people". This Fourth of July really maximized on that concept as we celebrated our first LEGAL Fourth (really 3rd because the 4th was on Sunday) of July!!!

It started with a day long swimming/eating nachos and homemade salsa fest. Around 4pm we enjoyed a traditional hot dog roast. Shortly afterwards, we watched/participated in the "Opening Ceremonies". The theme (a little less clear this year than others--but what the heck!:) was about the President of the United States deciding to out-source the opening ceremonies. There was a magic show, a jazzercise routine, The Iron Man, and an interpretive dance performed by Josh and I. Only my family would pack that much lunacy into about 15 minutes. Then the announcement was made "Let the games begin!"

My late Uncle Tom started a family Olympics in and around my parent's pool when I was a little girl and we have maintained the tradition (thanks to Becky for organizing the events!). We enjoyed a multitude of competitions including (but not limited to) watermelon eating, noodle relay, synchronized swimming, smoothest and most unique dives, water balloon toss, bubble gum blowing, and the ugly face contest (which I have never failed to place in...this year it was a Chesnik sweep with me in first place, Ben in 2nd and Eli 3rd...you'd think I wouldn't be so proud:). My family did AWESOME in so many of the competitions and many laughs were had.

After a couple hours of pure nonsense, the sun was down and we were ready to PARTY! My sweet Dad was so concerned about his many years of booming out the neighborhood (illegally) that he decided to repent and make this a firework-free year. He bought TONS of light-up wands, tiaras, lightsabers, tambarines, swirly light things, light-up necklaces and mouth thingys and set us free to the tunes of Sousa marches. It was truly an INCREDIBLE party! Everyone was laughing, dancing, and generally being WILD (my older sister said it was like a rave without the drugs:).

On the official 4th of July (Sunday), almost everyone came to my house for dinner and a small "Safe and Sane" firework display (every one's favorite was the humongous snake pit). I snapped this quick picture as soon as it was over (even though we were missing several people). So much fun!

I am so grateful to be in such a happy and FUN family that makes everyday life a BIG celebration!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Nikki said...

I love your families fourth of July parties. We able to attend one year :(

Caitlin said...

What a blast! Glad you had such a great time celebrating. And I love the description--like a rave without drugs. I can only imagine!

Mandi Roth said...

I love your parties!! They seem so fun, and crazy!! Good laughs is always a great time. :)

Vadney Family said...

What a great family picture.