Friday, July 31, 2009

24th of July in Utah

 

All of Josh's extended family lives in the Salt Lake Valley (and we haven't gone to visit them in about four years), so last week we undertook the great trek. A few trip memories:

*Making lots of fun stops on the way up, including The Cracker Barrel for breakfast and the BYU bookstore.

*Staying with Krystal, George and Pat in Murray. Krystal used to live in our guest house and we have really missed her! Pat cooked YUMMY food and she and George are so, so sweet with the kids. Krystal gave me a lovely pedicure that Jalie promptly touched. I loved the pampering (even with kids on my lap)!

*Visiting the Oquirrh Mountain Temple. They are currently having an open house, so we got to take the kids. Jalie screamed her head off all through the Celestial room (no surprise to those who saw her baby blessing). It is really, really beautiful.

*Going to IKEA in Draper. I love IKEA.

*Visiting with Josh's Grandma McFarlane. Unfortunately, she was very sick with a staff infection due to a badly broken arm that had to have pins. She is doing better, but she was admitted in the hospital for a second time while we were there.

*Picking loads of lovely apricots from Grandma M's trees. We took them home and made fresh fruit leather! Ummmm!

*Watching an explosion at the Kennecott Copper Mine. Josh's cousin works there and hooked the kids up with badges and everything.

*Spending time with Josh's sister, Missy, and her cutie-pie kids. They are such snuggle-bugs!

*We found my new favorite store--Tai Pan Trading. It has awesome home decor and I could have spent lots of time and money there. As it was, I just drooled a lot.

*Taking the TRAX to Salt Lake from Sandy. Jakob LOVED it! We went to Trolley Square and got the best caramels and taffy and ate lunch at The Spaghetti Factory.

*We went to Temple Square. The kids in the Salt Lake temple visitor's center, looking at the Christus statue and laughing their heads off that "they were in space with Jesus!".

*Seeing Josh's Grandma Basta's beautiful home in Stansbury Park. We celebrated the 24th of July in style! Josh's aunts, uncle, and cousins were (almost) all there. We had homemade ice cream and Josh lit some fireworks.

*Playing at the McDonald's in Cedar City. Wow! They have air hockey tables, ball rooms, slides/play equipment, arcade games, etc. It was TOTALLY worth the price of a few cheeseburgers.

Thanks to all of the family who housed us and played with us. We love you!
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Nikki said...

Wow, I am glad you guys were able to go and spend time with the family! The drive makes it all worth it!

Babs said...

Sounds like a great trip.
So glad you discovered Tai Pan - love that place too. Love Ikea too. We are so shopping compatible.

Babs said...

Oh, and I'm totally checking out the McDonald's in Cedar next time. Thanks for the tip.

Risenmay said...

Whenever I've gone to that vistor's center, I've never thought of "being in space with Jesus." That's hilarious! And I love Tai Pan, I always have to stop there, drool, and then spend some money on something that I've convinced my husband that I NEED to have!

Boogieboo said...

WOW!! Looks like you had tons of fun.

Mandi Roth said...

Looks like you guys had a fabulous time and I love the pictures. You guys are too cute!

Hardy Family said...

Such fun memories for the Chesnik family. We love Cracker Barrell, so yummy. You know they have a Tai Pan in St. George, or is that the one you went too? My aunt keeps trying to get me to go, but I know I will want to buy out the store. So fun!

Vadney Family said...

You go a lot of things when you go away. I need to vacation with you. Aren't you tired when you come home?

Unknown said...

I have heard about this Tai-Pan trading company!! I'm jealous you got to go. I do love Utah in the summer. I have good memories ;D You guys are lucky.